A deciduous shrub of bushy habit, 3 to 6 ft high, with brown, minutely downy young bark, afterwards glabrous and shining, ultimately peeling. Leaves oval-lanceolate, tapered at both ends, but more slenderly at the apex; 3⁄4 to 11⁄2 in. long, 1⁄3 to 5⁄8 in. wide; bright green and glabrous above, paler and glossy beneath, with scattered hairs on the midrib and veins; margins bristly-hairy; stalk 1⁄8 in. or less long. Flowers borne usually in pairs from the end of short lateral twigs; sepals two, narrowly oval, 1⁄3 in. long, minutely ciliated; corolla 5⁄8 in. long, funnel-shaped, curved, minutely downy outside, rose-coloured. Stamens shorter than the corolla. Flowers from June onwards.
Native of Szechwan, China; originally discovered by Henry about 1888; introduced to cultivation twenty years later by Wilson when collecting for Harvard University. Flowered at Kew in 1911.