A hybrid between Lapageria rosea and Philesia magellanica which was raised by Messrs Veitch at Chelsea, and flowered in their nursery there in 1872. It was named, described, and figured that year in The Gardeners’ Chronicle, p. 358, fig. 119. The lapageria was the seed-bearer. It is a scrambling shrub with leathery, dark green, shining leaves about 11⁄2 in. long and 1⁄2 in. wide, with three prominent veins running lengthwise and converging at the apex. Flower pendulous, about 2 in. long, 1⁄2 to 3⁄4 in. wide, with a rosy purple calyx of three oblong, pointed fleshy sepals about 1 in. long; and a corolla of three bright rose-coloured overlapping petals twice as long; anthers 1⁄2 in. long, yellow; flower-stalk 1⁄4 in. long. Bot. Mag., n.s., t. 92.
This interesting hybrid bears more resemblance to the lapageria in habit, in the stamens and in the colour of the flower, than it does to the philesia. It is hardy in Cornwall and similar places but is now very rare.
The plate in the Botanical Magazine depicts a flowering stem from a plant growing in the cool Fern House at Kew in July 1948. If grown under glass (as it must be over much of the country) it should be planted in a border where it can remain undisturbed. Propagation is by layers.