Adenocarpus anagyrifolius Coss. & Balansa

Modern name

Adenocarpus anagyrifolius Coss. & Balansa

A shrub of dense habit 3 to 6 ft high and wide; young shoots erect, slightly ribbed, glabrous or nearly so. Leaves trifoliolate, crowded, glaucous, main-stalk 12 to 114 in. long, leaflets of equal size, sessile, oval to roundish or obovate, 12 to 114 in. long, about two-thirds as wide, entire but frequently apiculate, glabrous. Flowers golden yellow, pea-shaped, 12 in. long, densely set on quite erect, slender, terminal racemes 3 to 7 in. long by 112 in. wide; stalks and calyx silky hairy. Pods 112 to 2 in. long, 14 in. wide, freely and conspicuously warted, carrying up to nine seeds.

Native of Morocco, on the slopes of the Main Atlas Range at 3,000-9,000 ft; introduced by E. K. Balls in 1936. It is a notable and very attractive shrub and was exhibited in flower by the late Sir Frederick Stern at Vincent Square on 21st June 1938 and given an Award of Merit. It grew for many years in his garden at Highdown but was almost exterminated in the winter of 1962-3, only one plant now remaining.


Genus

Adenocarpus

Other species in the genus