An evergreen bush 2 to 3 ft high, of broad, compact habit, and with round stems, much branched towards the top. Leaves from 3⁄4 to 2 in. long, 1⁄6 in. or less wide, dark green dotted with pellucid glands, margins recurved. Flowers 1⁄2 to 3⁄4 in. across, yellow, borne in cymes both terminal and axillary on the many branchlets, and thus transforming the end of each branch into a large panicle of flowers 6 to 10 in. long and 3 to 4 in. wide; sepals and petals narrow. Styles and cells of seed-vessel three; calyx linear, as long as the fruit.
Native of the eastern United States from Delaware to Florida; introduced to the Jardin des Plantes at Paris about 1790, but almost lost sight of until 1897, when it was reintroduced to Kew from the Arnold Arboretum. It begins to flower in July and continues until October. Its very narrow leaves and terete stems distinguish it among allied species.