A deciduous shrub up to 6 ft high, of spreading habit; young shoots clothed with greyish hairs, becoming the second year glabrous and reddish brown. Leaves roundish oval, sometimes ovate or obovate, tapered abruptly towards both ends, the apex mucronate; 1⁄3 to 1 in. long, 1⁄4 to 5⁄8 in. wide (smaller on the flowering shoots); dark glossy green, and soon glabrous above, sparsely hairy beneath; veins in three or four pairs; leaf-stalk 1⁄12 in. or less long. Flowers usually in threes at the end of short twigs, often supplemented by solitary ones in the axils of the terminal leaves, bright rose; calyx lobes triangular, they and the tube loosely woolly. Fruit red, egg-shaped, 1⁄3 in. long, carrying usually two nutlets.
Native of W. Hupeh and W. Szechwan, China; first found by Henry in the latter province about 1887; introduced to the Coombe Wood nursery by Wilson in 1904. It is one of the handsomest in fruit of Chinese cotoneasters, and was given a First Class Certificate in the autumn of 1912.